Innovative, successfully built global biotech pharma company specializing in the research and clinical development for a variety of conditions affecting the health and well being of people and their lives. This biotech company is searching for a leadership individual who is engaging, creative, resourceful, and confident for this important role in the leadership of a evolving structure of highly qualified Medical Science Liaisons throughout the US with experience in oncology, managing clinical portfolio assets, and commercial development.
Responsible for building, implementing, and coordinating all activities of the regional MSLs. Work with the Clinical team to support trial site KOL management. Support the marketing and sales team and provide scientific, clinical and medical resource to those groups, and lead in the tactical execution of strategies to engage scientific and medical thought leaders, and to develop partnerships with key scientific and medical organizations in both the community practice setting and academic setting. The Director, MSL will lead and contribute to the development of materials to be utilized by the regional MSLs. The MSL team members will be field based members of the Medical Affairs team; therefore, the MSL Director will be responsible for the successful alignment between the field-based team and the in-house Medical Affairs team.
Develop the strategy to establish, maintain, and manage collaborations of the MSL team with regional and national KOLs, local HCPs, participants in managed markets and other healthcare professionals.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of products, clinical treatment trends, clinical trials, and scientific activities within areas of interest to the company. Active involvement in raising awareness of all Company Sponsored trials, data informing trials and data enhancing trials, e.g. cooperative group trials.
- Ensure that the MSL team maintains business and clinical knowledge of appropriate therapeutic areas. Emphasis will be placed on treatment landscapes with emphasis, though not restricted, to those areas where company has a key interest. Responsible for initiating, building and fostering relationships with recognized clinicians, HCPs, clinician researchers, managed market providers and defined academic health care systems.
- Identify and develop meaningful and robust relationships with community and academic KOLs/HCPs. Provide meaningful scientific exchange to ensure that they understand the science and the clinical data associated with Heron products. Additionally, provide meaningful feedback to the organization on how the KOLs/HCPs view company and competitor products.
- Identify and build collaborations with KOLs, formulary members, and payers for medical education and potential clinical research opportunities.
- Provide support for academic and government researchers and healthcare providers interested in doing research with company products.
- Develop strategic KOL plans to provide needs-based, value-added services.
- Provide relevant medical and scientific information and literature, within corporate guidelines, for healthcare provider education.
- Provide field-based medical and scientific support to answer unsolicited questions about various products and related therapeutic areas.
Serve as a local medical and scientific resource for the medical community in therapeutic areas of interest to company (Post Commercialization)
- Develop and demonstrate a thorough working knowledge of company, its products, current medical and scientific research and publications in therapeutic areas of interest to the company.
- Provide relevant medical and scientific support for healthcare providers, third-party payers, and other managed care audiences.
- Work closely with the Market Access team to communicate the scientific information associated with company products and provide medical presentations as requested to support access.
- Work closely with the academic and community research organizations, community organizations, guideline committees, and medical personnel to ensure effective communication of the science and clinical data behind company products and disease areas of interest.
- Respond in an appropriate and expeditious fashion to unsolicited requests from KOLs/HCPs.
- Identify and prepare KOLs/HCPs for scientific programs, advisory boards, and speaker programs. Organize and conduct train-the-trainer programs and speaker training meetings.
- Provide medical and scientific support for medical education initiatives (e.g., speaker training). Deliver high quality educational presentations in a variety of settings (e.g., formulary committees, medical meetings, and allied healthcare professionals’ meetings) and obtain feedback that can be disseminated throughout the organization.
- Professionally represent corporation at select medical meetings and programs.
- Use appropriate, ethical judgment in the distribution of all information.
- Serve as a local medical and scientific resource for internal stakeholders
- Provide medical and scientific training support to internal colleagues upon request.
- Participate in internal therapeutic advisory groups and project teams.
- Provide local medical support for consultant and advisory meetings as needed.
- Gather and disseminate competitive intelligence from multiple sources.
- Complete accurate and timely administrative reports, projects, and other required documentation.
- Be an active member, as assigned, to late stage development Project Strategy Teams.
- Be responsible to introduce and train MSLs regarding new projects.
- Serve as liaison between clinical investigators and internal stakeholders in support of research.
- Be responsible for first-line review of investigator-sponsored studies originating from territory, and, in collaboration with MSL director/manager, facilitate the submission, review and approval processes for investigator-sponsored studies.
- Act as liaison between external clinical investigators and company internal. colleagues to assure timely follow-up of all communications, from proposal to publication, where appropriate.
- Provide support for corporate sponsored studies.
- Work closely with the Research & Clinical Development organizations to identify appropriate thought leaders/KOLs and sites for pre-clinical work and clinical trials as requested.
- Work closely with HCPs and sites involved in clinical development work to assure robust accrual to studies and provide a conduit for meaningful scientific exchange with the company.
Develop, manage, and supervise the team of MSLs • Supervise and develop the MSL team and help provide a spirit of working together and supporting the goals of company.
- Manage the activities of the field-based MSL team.
- Aid MSLs in grasping and understanding approved communication material.
- Be a resource and support for field MSLs and be available to travel and assist them with assignments.
- Assume role and field assignment of MSL if there is a long-term gap in MSL availability until MSL can be replaced.
- Complete performance reviews of field MSLs.
Advanced scientific degree (Doctorate or Masters Level) or Bachelors level degree with equivalent experience required.
- At least 10 years of pharma/biotech industry experience and at least 5 years hospital MSL experience. Preference will be given to candidates with experience managing hospital–based MSL teams.
- Knowledge and experience in Oncology therapeutic area.
- Clinical experience within relevant therapeutic/disease areas preferred;
- An established track record of effective and influential oral presentations and discussion to Health Care Professionals within the therapeutic/disease area(s) of interest to the company.
- Strong scientific baseline knowledge in selected therapeutic areas, clinical trial methods, implementation and interpretation; possesses sound scientific and clinical judgment.
- Strong compliance knowledge and adherence to corporate compliance in all activities – including those related to clinical trials, scientific presentations, and responses to unsolicited requests for information.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills. Strong customer-facing skills; listening skills; probing skills; and flexibility.
- Demonstrates professional communications (written, verbal, presentation, and listening) to cultivate and nurture strong working relationships with internal and external colleagues.
- Excellent collaboration skills across multiple disciplines.
- Cultivates and maintains relationships with international, national, regional, and local. KOLs and HCPs to establish trust through the consistent demonstration of scientific expertise and satisfactory follow-through to requests from thought-leaders.
- Demonstrates the ability to comprehend and communicate research results across a diverse audience. Understands clinical trials and investigator-sponsored study processes.
- Must have the ability to work independently, within a home office while efficiently managing time and priorities.
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively on multi-disciplinary teams in order to achieve desired outcomes.
- Plans, prioritizes, and executes multiple responsibilities in a timely manner.
- Conducts oneself in a highly professional and ethical manner.
- Deals with ambiguity and thrives in an ever-changing environment.
$230K - $290K + Annual Bonus + Stock options/Incentives
Greater Philadelphia and DC/MD area
PG - 3451